The dynamics of the battlefield are forever changing. With the increasing threat of terrorism in our streets to the evolving situations of combat applications, a new paradigm in firearms was required. In 1982, with the foresight of what the modern battlefield was becoming, IWI in a decade long collaboration with the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) Research & Development teams, developed the new standard issue weapon for the IDF. The TAVOR® was born. Mr. Zalman Shebs, known as the “father of the TAVOR,” spearheaded the team to develop a weapon system that was capable of moving from open field conflicts to close-quarter engagements and from daylight to nighttime capabilities – seamlessly on a single mission. In the late 1990’s through the early 2000’s, the TAVOR underwent unprecedented testing unlike any weapons system anywhere. The TAVOR began trials with IDF units testing for ergonomics. The TAVOR then entered the IDF NCO Infantry School for extensive field tests and finally, in 2002, the TAVOR was given to an army company in the Givati Brigade for real-world testing and use. By September, 2003, the IDF had chosen the TAVOR rifle as the standard issue for their infantry troops. Today the TAVOR rifles are in service with IDF Infantry troops and the IDF Special Forces in Israel along with many military and law enforcement agencies in the world.
IWI and IWI US have brought the same dedication to craft and commitment to performance and reliability to the American customer with the TAVOR SAR rifle.
TAVOR® SAR Features Include:
- Bullpup configuration allows for short rifle convenience with long rifle accuracy
- Optimized ergonomic design for increased comfort and ease-of-use
- Clean, long stroke piston operation
- Detachable, cold hammer-forged barrel (CHF), chrome-lined with 1:7 twist, CrMoV steel
- Optional 9mm Parabellum conversion kit with CHF barrel, 1:10 twist, CrMoV steel
- 100% ambidextrous configuration and operation with optional left-hand bolts for 5.56 NATO. No additional parts required to convert 9mm Parabellum to LH configuration
- Integral ambidextrous front and rear quick detachable sling swivel receptacles with push button swivels
- Simple field stripping into easily serviceable subassemblies
- Mil-Std 100% interchangeability of all TAVOR SAR parts
- Last round - bolt holds open on an empty magazine
- All metal parts treated for corrosion resistance
- Integral rubber recoil pad